If you want the short Rules: Never get a taxi without identification number, especially when the drivers comes to you asking "TAXI???".
If you want to know more about, go on reading then...
In Rome, unlike other transport solutions, taxis are said to be expensive; unless you really need one (i.e. because you are lost, or you are carrying heavy luggage, or you might miss a plane, etc.), remember that from any corner of the city a bus/tramway stop, or a subway/raiway station, are always easily reachable.
From the Bed and breakfast Savoia you can easily reach the Vatican by the BUS N. 490
Here's the plan:
- (A) Start From Piazza Fiume bus stop
FIUME (in front BNL Bank)
- Get the line 490 (direction CORNELIA ) for 12 bus stops 490 every 6 min.
- (B) Leave the bus at DORIA A./L.GO TRIONFALE
- Walk Via Leone IV 500 meters
- (C) Turn left Via del Vaticano
Total distance: 4800 meters